A vector is any pest, rodent, or animal that can host, and then transmit, an infectious disease to humans. Vectors are commonly pests and rodents. It is important to know what pests and rodents transmit diseases in Maryland and Virginia and how to prevent them in our daily lives to protect our health. Knowing what diseases they can host and transmit is also very important to know the health risks they pose, especially for susceptible populations like children and the elderly. Environmental Pest Control is a professional pest control company protecting customers in MD, VA, and WV from vector pests through its quarterly pest prevention plans.
Common Vector Pests & Rodents in Maryland and Virginia, and The Diseases They Carry
Some of the pests and rodents that are common vectors are: cockroaches, mice, mosquitoes & ticks, and rats. Each of these nuisance pests pose different health risks. For example, did you know that decaying cockroaches and mouse dander are among the top triggers for children with asthma? Below lets learn the health hazards each of these pose.
- Cockroaches. These pests are not known to initiate disease outbreaks; however they are often in dirty environments. Cockroaches carry bacteria that can contaminate your food, causing salmonella, staphylococcus, and streptococcus. In addition, cockroaches are considered to be dangerous because they can trigger asthma attacks.
- Mice. These rodents can carry harmful diseases, such as hantavirus, leptospirosis, lymphocytic choriomeningitis, tularemia, and salmonella.
- Mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are one of the most dangerous pests in the world because of their high capacity to transmit diseases. They are responsible for the zika virus, west nile virus, chikungunya virus, dengue, and malaria.
- Ticks. Ticks can be infected with bacteria, viruses, or parasites. Lyme disease, babesiosis, ehrilichosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, anaplasmosis, southern tick-associated rash illness, tick-borne relapsing fever, and tularemia are all nasty diseases they pests carry.ighlight the risks associated with tick-borne illnesses like Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Babesiosis
- Rats. Rats carry all the diseases that mice do but they add rat bite fever to the mix, which can occur if you are bitten by a rat.
Vector Pest & Rodent Prevention Techniques
In order to keep vector pests & rodents away from your home, you need to eliminate the things they like in the first place. Making some simple and practical repairs to your home will ensure you minimize the threat of getting a pest or rodent infestation. Here are practical DIY tips for around the home by vector
- For cockroaches, we need to focus on the kitchen area. Make sure food is sealed in tupperware containers. Make sure you do not have any leaky faucets (cockroaches, like almost all insects, thrive in damp conditions). Make sure windows and doors are in good working order. You want a proper seal so these nuisance pests cannot come into your home. Keep a clean kitchen. Inspect food, particularly produce, that you purchase.
- Mice can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime! Seal up the exterior of your home on any crack and crevice. Make sure door thresholds are in good working order. Make sure roof vents are sealed off.
- Mosquitoes love moisture and breed in standing water. Ensure all of your gutters and downspouts are clear and are draining properly. Ideally install extended drains from your downspouts to keep water away from your homes foundation. Make sure you don’t have anything that collects rain.
- Rats can squeeze through holes the size of a quarter! Seal up the exterior of your home just as you would a mouse.
- Ticks like tall grasses. Make sure you keep your grass cut and make sure you have a barrier between your lawn and any bordering tall grassy areas.
Importance of Professional Pest Control Services
While DIY methods are a great start, they cannot achieve what a professional pest control company can achieve when it comes to preventing pests and rodents from infesting your home. Home owners do not have access to the treatment products and equipment that pest control professionals do. Environmental Pest Control’s quarterly pest control plan protects homeowners from 20+ pests and rodents year round to ensure your family does not have to worry about vector diseases. Our professional technicians go through constant ongoing training on the best and most effective methods to prortect your home and family. Additionally, we have a seasonal mosquito & tick plan that protects from both mosquitoes and ticks, on a monthly treatment basis, from March-October. Call us today for a free estimate or schedule a free inspection!